PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Questions and suggestions about security on Android devices

From: Josh More <jmore () starmind org>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:07:53 -0500

My rules of thumb are:

1) If you are good at Operations, root the device, install CyanogenMod
+ DroidWall + AdAway + Lookout + Sophos. Check for updates for both
Cyanogen and Play regularly.  Install only the apps you need and only
from trusted sources.  Try not to do anything risky with it.

2) If you suck at Operations, go with Lookout and Sophos and hope that
your carrier will do a better job of updates and secure configuration
than you would.  Expect to get popped eventually.

-Josh More