PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: AV for OSX

From: "Ryan" <randomrhythm () rhythmengineering com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:54:19 -0600

I personally would go with yes but it of course comes down to the individual and their risk assessment. I agree with
John that if you are targeted by an experienced and determined attacker AV won't likely get in their way.  For that
scenario you best have your systems locked down and other defenses in place.  As John has said in the past you should
design your security as if you don't have antivirus at all.  However, I will say not all attackers are as skilled and
knowledgeable as John Strand.  Antivirus is a last line of defense and if it can block, interfere or identify a
percentage of attacks then it may be worth the performance hit and bugs.

I also fully agree with John that antivirus adds system load and may make your system or applications unstable.  Those
are real side effects and risks of running antivirus.  Adding appropriate scan exclusions, turning off real-time
scanning, upgrading or switching products can usually help out with those if you've got the time to fool with it.  At
minimum doing a scheduled scan at some interval could still add value if simply to tell you the system was compromised.
 Some people won't know they were hacked until someone or something tells them like a virus detection alert.

I recommend Sophos but I'm sure there is a ClamAV port that may fit your needs.

Ryan