PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Durable AP Needed

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 08:51:12 +0100

On 23 May 2012 06:46, Chris Keladis <ckeladis () gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 4:25 AM, Joshua Wright <jwright () hasborg com> wrote:

I need the AP to be 802.11 b/g/n (5 GHz a/n is optional) with at least four
switch ports and support for NAT to an uplink network.  I also need it to
support open security, WEP, WPA2-PSK and WPA2 Enterprise IEEE 802.1X (which
my Linksys AP's do no problem).  External antennas are not desirable just
for reliability (very little range is needed).

A slightly different approach, how about one of the Fon/Open Mesh type
devices (don't know which support 802.11a but sure some must) and one
of these as a switch:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8-port-eten-pw-108-pocket-size-metal-casing-10-100-switch-usb-powered-lan-party!

They are really nice solid metal 8 port switches which run off USB or
mains so if you can find a Fon with USB port you power that and piggy
back the switch power. They do 4 port ones as well but the 8 port was
so little extra it was worth it.

If you can't find a Fon type device I'm sure Ubiquiti will do a Pico
or similar that handles abg and probably n.

Robin

I guess the slight gotchya with APs that do 2.4GHz as well as 5 GHz is
few do both simultaneously.

Whichever AP you decide on (and assuming you would prefer both radio's
to be available at the same time),
this may be something you want to ask.

Chris.