PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Reports on Hypervisors

From: Olivier Médoc <o_medoc () yahoo fr>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:41:50 +0200

A case where shared folders have been attacked to get control of the host (apparently Windows/VMware Workstation):

http://www.darkreading.com/security/application-security/211201078/index.html

Another attack on the "Virtual Machine display function" (http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2009-1244). The exploit only works for vmware Workstation if I remember correctly, but the vulnerability is also present on VMWare ESXi.

I think the CANVAS team sent a demonstration video somewhere on the web.

http://www.darkreading.com/security-services/167801101/security/application-security/217701908/hacking-tool-lets-a-vm-break-out-and-attack-its-host.html

Cases where a virtual machine host has been compromised DO exists. Now, you just has to hope that hypervisor provider are reactive on these kind of issues...