PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: pixieboot attack

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:25:43 +0000

On 16 January 2012 15:10, Mike Patterson <mike () snowcrash ca> wrote:
On 12-01-16 4:38 AM, Robin Wood wrote:
Has anyone done this? Do organisations use PXE boot on network machines?

I've thought about it, mostly from the "how to prevent it" perspective.
The most feasible answer I came up with is "hope it doesn't happen."

I don't know about other organisations, but some places I've worked use
it. They tend to enable it only for machine installation, and disable it
again afterwards. The one group I was with that made heavy use, we had a
separate VLAN just for this. Enable PXE, change the VLAN, boot /
reinstall, disable PXE, change the VLAN back.

I don't know what might break if you blocked the bits that PXE needs to
properly work on non-"reinstall" networks, but that could be a mitigation.

Mike

So seeing as it may be a valid attack, anyone fancy writing Pixieboot
to take advantage of this attack?

Robin