PaulDotCom mailing list archives

could new TLDs kill Chrome search/URL bar?

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:30:16 +0000

I was reading an article on the new TLDs that are becoming available
soon and they were talking about someone like Pepsi buying their name
so they would have .pepsi. That got me wondering, would pepsi on its
own then become a valid URI? Could you set up a wildcard DNS so that
that was all you'd need to enter in your URL bar would be pepsi?

If so that would kill the combined URL and search bar that chrome uses
as they wouldn't know whether you wanted to search or browse if you
entered a single word.

At £120k just to start the application process for your own TLD it
would probably be out of the price range for most pen-tests but if a
single word could become a valid URL then I'm sure it opens up a few
new security issues.

Robin