PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Is this a secure way to parse logs over the web?

From: Dancing Dan <d4ncingd4n () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:21:16 -0600

Disclaimer: My PHP skills are very rusty so, I may have misunderstood some
of what I saw. Some of what I say may be complete or partial rubbish....
YMMV

I'm not sure how much of a difference this would make but, I would
constrain the choices from the Internet to specific items instead of
allowing regexs. It would be good to white list the specific searches you
want to allow and discard anything not on the approved list.

You could separate the retrieval and searching functions from the display
functions by using a scheduled task on the server to extract the data to
separate files with a subset of data. Not necessarily real time but, it
would gain a little separation and could be a lower privileged process
separate account. This could be especially helpful if you are using SELinux
or other MAC control.

I would also suggest considering the types of data that could be stored in
the log. It would be a bad thing (TM) for someone to generate a log event
that would cause reflected XSS when viewing the log file in a browser. My
paranoia would cause me to retrieve a text file containing data that I
could view as pure ASCII....

Hope this helps....

Bart