PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: CC numbers stored on planes

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:37:54 +0000

On 24 January 2012 14:18, David Freedman <freedman.j.d () gmail com> wrote:

I love Robin's point about being concerned with the assessor's abilities
to explain why something is in scope and what is considered out of scope.
 We have recently gone through our yearly PCI compliance 2.0 and there was
a big debate over what was in scope due to the differences between last 4
of a PAN and full track data.

One place I've found that isn't always automatically considered in scope is
log servers. People turn on full logging and the CC data gets sent off to a
separate machine then they forget to turn it off or to clear it down later.
Also backup locations, the SQL server either generates a SQL dump or a
binary backup of all the data and that is passed to a separate machine,
that machine isn't in the normal flow of data so people forget about it.

Robin

Tony - how did the SIG work out?  Did it provide
solid compensating controls for the airlines?  I mean this with honest
curiosity as I think it is interesting that there are some airlines that
are not PCI compliant.