PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Security Positions Referrals Site - Open for Suggestions

From: Josh More <jmore () starmind org>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:13:27 -0600

The problem with current platforms is that they all focus around what
is most easily searched technology-wise, which forces individuals into
changing their profiles to match the system, rather than the system
serving the individuals.

Forget about technical skills.  If companies want an ArcSight person,
they're going to go Dice or Monster.  Forget about collecting keywords
and referrals.  Companies are using LinkedIn for that.  Dice, Monster
and LinkedIn have won the fight, and you're not going to take market
share from them by competing on their terms.

What I'd like to see is a site that has two components to it. First,
it would be a profile site... specifically a site that allows someone
to create a job profile that is focused on a particular job. This
would allow people to create a portfolio that is focused on the
business's need. You could generate PDFs from it to take to a printing
shop to make the physical portfolio and give interviewers a URL and
password so they can see the complete interactive profile.

Second, I'd like a communication forum/mailing list sort of thing...
ideally both so people can choose their interface. This would allow
people within the community to share ideas on improving the profiles
for specific jobs as well as give referrals and recommendations.  To
me, this is what a community site should do.  All the other sites that
claim to be community sites aren't.  They're connection sites.

I know that this is far from what you asked for, but as I said, you're
not to win playing the same game that everyone else is.

-Josh