PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: surveillance gear question

From: Anatoly Bodner <abodner () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 12:22:08 -0500

I would recommend picking up a few inexpensive IP video cameras, and running
ZoneMinder -- An open source CCTV server. I run it very successfully for the
8 cameras, and it's a fairly secure solution to host from home. You can tie
it in to a dynamic dns service for convenience of standardized URL if your
ISP changes your IP periodically. You can have it running on extremely
low-power inexpensive gear, such as an Intel Atom-based all-in-one , and can
even run in diskless mode (assuming you are only interested in real-time
viewing vs. recording/playback.

I am running ZoneMinder on Ubuntu on this setup:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Dual-Core-Mini-ITX-Motherboard-BOXD525MW/dp/B0041RSC94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309886384&sr=8-1

I use airlink101 AICN500W night vision cameras right now, but you can go
lower depending on your requirements.