PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Mac or ip from device

From: Mark Buchanan <mabuchan () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:10:39 -0500

I would try by doing this:
- Start a tcpdump watching only arp requests on a device on the network that
you plan on connecting to the device into.
- Plug the device into the network and verify that your connected to the
same vlan as your tcpdump session.
- Inestigate the arp traffic to see what arp requests have occurred.

If the new device is chatty enough it should expose more information on the
mystery ip address and device.  Depending on what the device has configured,
(dns, gateway, etc) will dictate if your arp captures see traffic from the
new device.

This may or may not work, but has been fruitful for me in the past.

Mark