PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: PowerShell Assessment

From: "J. McCluggage" <j2mccluggage () adelphia net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 22:04:12 -0400

I might be missing something in your question but you should not need either
ADWS & ADMGS if you are using a machine in the active directory domain and
running under an account with proper permissions to fully query the Active
Directory.

For Active Directory and PowerShell you primarily have three options (there
are probably others that I am not aware of):

ADSI

Quest Active Directory commandlets/module

Microsoft Active Directory module for PowerShell 2.0 (last I knew this would
only work against a Windows 2008 R2 domain and could only be ran from an R2
or Win 7 machine)

My personal preference is the Quest Module.  The downside is that you have
to install an additional module which may or may not be an issue depending
on the environment.  The benefit to ADSI is that it is built-in.  You may
want to check out Jeffery Hicks excellent book "Managing Active Directory
with Windows PowerShell: TFM, 2nd Edition".

Also if you are using PowerShell as an assessment tool, don't overlook WMI.
A wealth of information can be retrieved using WMI.