PaulDotCom mailing list archives

IPS placement

From: Crest Johanson <shesma () ymail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:16:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,

I'm a bit confused on a placement of a second IPS device in the network. We
already have an IPS typically placed behind the FW and before the DMZ. We
purchased another IPS with a high bandwidth from a different vendor and placed
it between the LAN and the servers farm. The IPS provides 3 more segments that
we haven't yet utilized. Where do you think we should have the IPS inspecting?
Maybe between the DMZ and the internal servers farm? Or maybe behind the older
IPS so that we have an extra layer of protection from a two different IPS
vendors?

Hope someone came across a similar case.

Thanks,