PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: MS-SQL in the DMZ

From: "Hembrow, Chris" <chris.hembrow () interserve com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 14:22:48 +0100

My preferred setup tends to be 3 tiered:

    DMZ - Reverse Proxy (e.g. Microsoft TMG, Apache, F5), permits HTTP/S connections only to:
App LAN - Application/Web servers, which can only make DB connections to:
DB LAN - Database server

With firewalls between all networks.  I don't trust apps to have unrestricted access to databases, whether they are in
the DMZ or now.

Quite often there will also be a management LAN, with an authentication server (i.e. AD) which needs connections into
all the other networks.

Chris