PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Gamification of Information Security

From: Michael Dickey <lonervamp () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:11:47 -0500

I'll bite!

- track badge use to open secured doors...maybe even a gatekeeper of door X?
This would hopefully promote always using a badge to go through a door,
rather than following someone else in.
- uses of email encryption services or PGP
- tickets submitted through approved means (promotes tracking and
efficiency...walk-up interruptions are the bane...)
- uses of change mgmt forms for changes
- points for reporting any security violations? I hate to promote a
tattle-tale culture, though...

For Developers/QA, there definitely could be a point system set up for
finding actionable security issues in websites and applications, or
additional points for pre-emptively solving them (would suck to leave them
there just to find them later since you knew they were there). I know
Jeremiah Grossman has made mention of their internal "games" where they all
rush to find security holes in a site. That itself would be fun, assuming
you have enough people with some aptitude. The challenge system could work
here as well, to challenge someone else's code/site/app.

Obviously, to throw the wet blanket down, all of this would have to be
carefully planned, as you'd hate to have it foster real competition and
incent "gaming" of the "games" too much, especially if ANY of it starts to
influence appraisals or reward.