PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Self Encrpyting Hard Drive Recovery

From: "Timothy Ouellette" <touellette83 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 11:35:21 -0400

Does anyone have experience trying to break the encryption on self
encrypting hard drives?

I've got a Seagate SATA drive that was encrypted with Wave Embassy Trusted
Drive Manager www.wave.com. I know the username it was encrypted under, but
of course not the password.

Worked with Wave support to attempt a recovery but this was not encrypted
using any sort of enterprise solution where passwords or anything are stored
centrally, or where I would have a default recovery password, so Wave
basically says without the original password used to encrypt it I've got a
glorified paperweight!

There is no data on the drive at all so not really concerned about it so
much, at this point it's more of a project / challenge for me to see if I
can break this thing!

Anyone know of any tools out there for this sort of thing?

Cheers

-Tim