PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Forensics

From: Michael Lubinski <michael.lubinski () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:22:27 -0500

I got quite a chuckle out of a few of them, thanks.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Josh More <jmore () starmind org> wrote:

I don't think you'll find one.  Unless the infected system is set up with
an appropriate level of auditing and there are network logs to compare
against, the important data will be lost.

Here are some questions.  If they say "yes" to any of them, stop asking
questions, assume that that's the vector and take corrective action.  This
will work well for you in something like 90% of these situations and fail
catastrophically in the other 10%.  Identifying which is which is left as an
exercise to the reader.  ;)

* Is the user running as a local administrator?
* Is the system missing the most recent service pack?
* Is the system missing any security patches?
* Is the system running an older version of Adobe Reader?
* Is the system running an older version of Adobe Flash?
* Is the system running an older version of Oracle (or Sun) Java?
* Is the system running an older version of Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome
or Opera?
* Is the system's firewall off?
* Can you download the files from www.eicar.org?
* Can you browse to porn sites?
* Can you browse gambling sites?
* If you plug a USB drive with an autorun file on it, does it run?
* Did the user anger the wrong people on the Internet?
* Is the user unlucky?

-Josh More

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Michael Lubinski <