PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Asset discovery and ICMP protocol

From: Zate <zate75 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:59:37 -0500

You can always try the TCP ping stuff in nmap, typically most devices (at
least the ones you might care about) have management ports.  so scan for
things like 22, 23, 80, 443, 139, 445, 3389 and the like.  commonly used
ports that would be present on a device you'd expect to see.

this wont get you everything, but if your scanner has decent access it
should get you a large chunk of the regular devices on a network.

it can be done pretty quickly in nmap too. Look at the -PS/PA/PU/PY
switches.

Zate