PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Any experience with Aristotle software

From: Robert Portvliet <robert.portvliet () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 13:24:30 -0500

Funny you mention Arisotle, I was just having a conversation about this the
other day... I did some work with it back when I worked for a school
district. To be honest I only monitored it, I didn't do the implementation,
but it seemed to be fairly comprehensive.

As you said, it monitors the machines it is installed on and is
controlled\viewed through a central web interface in any IDS like manner
where it shows events of interest as alerts, It basically monitors for any
keywords being present  (re: dirty words) so it will catch them in any
application where they may be displayed. It also shows the applications
being used, can alert on a banned application, shows the time spent doing
certain things such as web surfing and will alert when a threshold is
reached (such as excessive web surfing). It has key-logging capabilities as
well and the servers themselves are Linux based appliances iirc. That's
about all I can think of...

We used Aristotle and a WebSense Proxy to monitor/control the environment
and it seemed to be pretty effective overall. If you have specific questions
ping me off list and I'll see what I can do to answer them. Like I said, I
only monitored it, but I'll help where I can.