PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Question for the Consultants

From: scott burkhart <burkhart.scott () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:43:40 -0600

Looking for some feedback regarding working for a single company (standard
9-5 gig, no travel) versus being a consultant.

Throughout my IT career (15 yrs) I have always worked for a single employer
but always found the idea of being a consultant appealing, although I really
have no real idea of what to expect. I am at a point where I am seriously
considering leaving my stable, boring, single-employer job but would like to
hear some feedback on others' experiences in the consulting world.

I am contemplating going to work for a consulting firm, would not be working
for myself so the whole bookkeeping/contact management issue is null.

I have tried to create a pros/cons list to help decide, probably a skewed
view from my perspective.

Working for single employer:

Pro:
Intimate familiarity with systems in use at employer.
Stable/predictable working environment, no travel.
Working with the same team members for years at a time(could be a con as
well)

Con:
Limited exposure to new technologies and incidents.
Office politics.

Working as a consultant: ??

Pro:
Exposure to broad range of technologies and incidents.

Con:
Constant travel

Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.