PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Windows Credentials Editor v1.0

From: Ryan Sears <rdsears () mtu edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 15:40:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Guys,

So I'm not sure if anyone is really interested but I created something kind of in the same vein, but in reverse. I
created a 6MB package that uses qemu and a custom made linux distro to actually edit your grub.conf from windows so you
can remotely control what operating system a machine boots into.

This came about because of the fact that we wanted most of our dual-boot windows clients to consistently boot into
Windows, but occasionally I needed to do stuff on the linux side (I mainly do linux system administration for Michigan
Tech). This will (as the video indicates) also pop you into a root shell on the linux side, so you can edit any files
you want, I've even used it to change root passwords from windows ( using openssl passwd -1 -salt SaltS@ltSalt
NewRootPW ). This can also be used as an attack vector, because this is a PoC that your computer is just as secure as
your most insecure operating system, although we all know that physical access to any machine is pretty much game over.

As of right now because of the way our home drives are set up this actually copies everything to a temp dir, and uses
runas to run it as the local administrator, but that was because of some permission issues.

I'm just curious if anyone is actually interested in this, because this is really v0.1. But if there's interest I'll
develop it a bit further and come up with a menu system of some kind to do common tasks, as well as clean up some
stupid hackery I used to get it working right (mainly in the batch files).

Here's a link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/v/bgCUJ7miSNY&fmt=22&autoplay=1 (Fullscreen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCUJ7miSNY&fmt=22      (Regular)

Hope you enjoy!