PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Nessus In a VM

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenable com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 16:14:24 -0500

On 12/7/2010 7:16 AM, Cody Dumont wrote:
Greeting All,

I have heard Paul talk about using Nessus in a VM many times, and I know
that if you  run Nessus in a VM you  eventually run into limitations of
the VM software.  Can you  tell me what the limitations are.  The three
computers I will be running Nesuss in a VM all have Quad Core CPU with
at least 8 GB of RAM.  So there should not be an issue of hard that
could support Nessus if installed directly on the system.

Tenable offers a VM appliance which has Nessus on it to ProfessionalFeed
customers.

Aside from that, Nessus is just like any other application and if you
don't give it enough disk space, cpu or memory you'll impact performance.

Having said that, we have a lot of customers that run stand-alone Nessus
scanners with 1GB of memory. We also have some customers that deploy
Nessus on 4GB, 8GB, .. 16GB systems to scan multiple ClassBs, perform
100s of web apps at the same time, perform 1000s of scans for an MSP
offering, .etc.

I do a lot of testing of Nessus and our SecurityCenter product and tend
to run them both in VMs or Amazon instances with 2GB of memory and
regularly scans ClassBs, do web app audits, .etc.

--
Ron Gula, CEO
Tenable Network Security