PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: running Snort on a VirtualBox internal network

From: Shane Kennedy <kennedy.shane () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:47:42 -0500

Robin,

I have a virtualbox lab with multiple hosts running on multiple
internal networks.  One of my hosts is bridged into my real-world
local network and acts as a gateway into the internal networks, much
like yours.

From that gateway host, I pinged a target host on one of the remote
internal networks 2 hops away and sent some unicast TCP traffic as
well.  I also sent some traffic to the target from a couple of hosts
on the real-world network.  I was able to observe all the traffic to
my target from another host on the same remote network simply by
sniffing in promiscuous mode.  Seems like virtualbox internal networks
are more like hubs than switches.

Hope this helps,

SK