PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: vulnerability scanners

From: Paul Asadoorian <paul () pauldotcom com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 13:10:23 -0400

Hi Andrew,

I wasn't sure from your email if you were comparing penetration testing
frameworks to vulnerability scanners, but they should be thought of, and
treated as, separate products.

In short: a vulnerability scanner is going to give you a comprehensive
view of your vulnerabilities.

An exploit framework is going to give you more depth and intrusiveness
into the vulnerabilities that exist.

My other suggestion is that when you compare vulnerability scanners,
don't use the default settings to compare.  Take the time to test each
one against a test environment and tune the scanner accordingly.  Also,
your targets should be real, and you should have a pretty good idea the
vulnerabilities that exist before you start running scans. There is a
lot more to take into consideration, feel free to ping me with specific
questions.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Paul