PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: Logrhythm & Splunk

From: Michael Dickey <lonervamp () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 10:22:16 -0500

Unfortunately, I can't compare the two as I've not used Splunk enough, but
LogRhythm is a decent enough product if (and here's the kicker that boils
people's budgets and pisses off the managers who eat terms like "turnkey"
and "seamless" for their empty calorie breakfast) you have the time to put
some effort and care and love into it. Especially if you're wanting to watch
logs, investigate events, and generate alerts rather than just collect and
store logs. But it does help automate all the backend stuff and give you a
reasonably consistent front end to log management. My only real complaints
thus far on the product are really caused by my own utter lack of time.

Of course, if you have the time, you might just opt for open source stuff
and stitch things together yourself, but many orgs will appreciate official
paid support, and so far my experiences with their techs have been positive.