PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Corporate AV suggestions

From: craigfreyman at gmail.com (Craig Freyman)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 10:45:39 -0600

I've used a few of the enterprise products over the last 5 years:

   - Symantec - Didn't like the big footprint, but found it somewhat
   effective. They seemed to have quite a few of the bad updates that would
   blow up computers like Mcafee just had. This was 4 years ago though. Admin
   of multiple clients would get screwed up sometimes in the console. Had to
   recreate policies often. Support sucks.
   - Trend - Loved the small footprint but was incredibly ineffective. I
   found that it couldn't even detect basic Metasploit payloads. Admin of it
   was easy. Support was OK.
   - ESET - By far the most effective I have tried as far as catching known
   bugs. Has a small footprint. Admin is kind of a pain in the ass, but I put
   up with it because it seems to catch what it is supposed to. Throw in their
   competitive upgrade pricing and it was a no brainer for us. Support also
   sucks. They have a robot on their splash screen.
   - Ive also tried Kaspersky before and I think it is about as good as
   ESET. No idea on their support.

-Craig