PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Nessus WMI patch auditing

From: paul at pauldotcom.com (Paul Asadoorian)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:06:48 -0400

Hey k41zen,

Nessus does indeed use WMI for several things:

http://blog.tenablesecurity.com/2007/02/advanced_nesssu.html

You can get all the details by looking in the plugins directory and
searching for files starting with "wmi_*".

Not sure if there is a workaround to do patch audits on Windows systems
that have admin shares disabled.  Let me know if you want me to follow
up on this one.

We do other things, such as disabling/enabling the remote registry for
Windows credentialed scans:

http://blog.tenablesecurity.com/2009/03/dynamic-remote-registry-auditing-now-you-see-it-now-you-dont-.html

Cheers,
Paul