PaulDotCom mailing list archives

home backup solution

From: dgcombs at gmail.com (Dan McGinn-Combs)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:40:52 -0400

I use DropBox for my backups. I've done a fair bit of customization on it.
Check the DropBox Forums for info on scripts. I have my Work Windows
 laptop, an Ubuntu Linux box and soon to be home Hackintosh all sync'ing the
Documents/Pictures and other directories. In terms of incrementals, it feels
more like rsync in that it only syncs a section of an updated file. In
addition, if two systems are on the same network, it uses a local connection
to sync them.

I use Windows RoboCopy to pull my wife's Documents and Desktop directories
over to the Linux box so they get backed up too. Looks like 25Gb of stuff so
far.

Yep, I was impressed enough with their service to actually whip out my
credit card!

Dan