PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Malware / hack lab?

From: pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com (PJ McGarvey)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:33:56 -0400

Yup, that was my issue.  I've added the (hopefully) correct Realtek driver to the .iso using info from that site, and
just need to test it out.

thanks

From: amanchester at gmail.com
To: pauldotcom at mail.pauldotcom.com
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:24:52 -0400
Subject: Re: [Pauldotcom] Malware / hack lab?

PJ,
 Depending on what nic your laptop has, check out www.vm-help.com
That site was instrumental in me building a vmware ESXi 4.0 whitebox. My
ESXi server consists of an AMD quad-4 2.6 ghz processor ($95 at newegg) with
12 gigs of memory and 2 500 gig HD. The motherboard I used was a gigabyte
ga-ma785gm-us2h. The only component on the motherboard not compatible with
ESXi4.0 was the onboard nic which happened to be a realtek device that isn't
normally supported by esxi. Vm-help.com has an excellent script available
that allows you to import drivers into the esxi iso image. For what I need
this is more than enough machine for my home hack/test lab. Currently, I am
running windows 2003,2008,ubuntu server, centos server, and ubuntu desktop
simultaneously without any issues.