PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Ssh break in attempt

From: arch3angel at gmail.com (Robert Miller)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:52:13 -0500

Hello Brett,

As others have said these are extremely common, many times being run by
systems the users are completely unaware of anything even going on, and
I know the universities i have gone to they don't block much outbound
but Paul would be a better adviser on that one.  Both of the suggestions
by Jody and Matt are spot on and i would follow each others.  One little
addition to those would be when you configure denyhosts make sure to
allow the downloading of known bad IPs, along with having the system
email you new denied IPs.

Another thing to look into as a precautionary measure is tripwire
(http://www.tripwire.com/) and make sure you have it emailing you
notices as well.

Here is a link to understanding log files that came across tweeter a
couple days ago but serves as a great cheat sheet or reference:
http://zeltser.com/log-management/security-incident-log-review-checklist.html

You can also setup Nagios or Zenoss to look for failed logins or
successful logins and give you a web interface to review them.

If you are running a web server look into suhosin
(http://www.hardened-php.net/suhosin/), phpids (http://php-ids.org/),
modsecurity (http://www.modsecurity.org/), grsecurity
(http://www.grsecurity.net/), and bastille
(http://bastille-linux.sourceforge.net/).  On the last two watch your
keneral patch level, never remove your current kernel from the grub menu
until you are 100% sure the grsecurity patched kernel is fully
functions.  If you don't pay close attention you could really hose
things up and make it very hard on yourself to fix it.

- Robert
(arch3angel)