PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Independent Consulting

From: john.h.hoyt at gmail.com (John Hoyt)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:16:24 -0500

I had a friend of mine contact me recently in regards to starting up a
security consultant company.

The primary focus would be on penetration testing, and the target customers
would be small to med business.

At the start, there would be three partners, someone that would manage the
finance/accounting and legal issues, my friend would be marketing and sales,
and I would be the go-to, meaning the only, IT/pen testing person.

Some of the questions I'd like to ask you guys that have gone this route:

- I'm wondering about liability insurance, is it always a requirement, and
how much do you get.

- What are the pitfalls to avoid?

- How do you determine the right amount of pen testers for the job? (Time,
scope, etc.)

- What does the market look like right now for this kind of business?

- Any other thoughts?

--

John Hoyt