PaulDotCom mailing list archives

AV exclusions and Read vs Write scans

From: xrsolis at gmail.com (Xander Solis)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:20:25 +0800

Francois,

Allow me to summarize your inquiries and give my thoughts on it.

1. Improving AV scanner performance by only scanning for writes to
disk instead of reads to disk.

The problem I see here is for previously undetected malware files. If
a previously undetected / non running malware runs, there might be a
possibility that the scanner will not detect the malware files that
are read to disk. Though AV scanners use in memory scanning, there is
a possibility that some drop files being used by malware will be
overlooked on the detection process.

On scanner performance, some AV scanners allow configurable options to
control CPU utilization, you might want to look if your product has it
and use a low CPU utilization setting, instead of using minimal
configuration settings that may cripple the scanner's capability to
detect malware.

2. On scan exclusions

This depends on the applications you run on your network. It would be
best to be very specific on file paths and files you exclude. It would
be best to have an inventory of this as well and exclusions have a
valid business case.

Hope this helps,

My 10 cents,

Xander

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Francois Lachance