PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Archiving History files

From: doj at primeinfosec.com (Dave Ockwell-Jenner)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:46:55 -0500

Monkey Daemon wrote:
Hi,

I've just discovered a system on which one of our darling users has
decided adding a script to his .bash_logout file that removes
.bash_history on logout is a clever thing to do.

Is there a way to take a copy of the .bash_history file before it is
deleted? This user obviously has something to hide as far as I'm
concerned, so I need to archive this file to present it as evidence.

How about compiling a custom version of bash that writes the history
file out to an alternate location? I have used that technique in the
past for a similar situation and it was quite effective. There is little
chance someone would suspect a 'trojaned' shell, typically.

Cheers,
Dave.