PaulDotCom mailing list archives

AT&T Business DNS hosting

From: tadaka at gmail.com (Jason Wood)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:38:02 -0700

Hey all,
I mentioned this in Twitter, but thought I'd bring it up here.  I was doing
some looking at a few domains that we own decided to try doing a zone
transfers of them.  The first zone I tried was hosted with GoDaddy and I
didn't have high hopes for them.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that my
zone transfer requests were denied.  Then I decided to check one hosted with
AT&T.  Sure enough, they allow full zone transfers of anything they host.

I talked to one of my co-workers and he confirmed that he had noticed this
too and that attempts had already been made to get AT&T to fix this.  No
success though.  Oddly enough, AT&T hosts *their* domains on different DNS
servers which do NOT allow zone transfers.  Go figure...

So this message has two purposes in it.  First, if you host your DNS with
AT&T you might consider moving to someone else or (at a minimum) make sure
that no internal IP addresses sneak into the public DNS hosting.  Second, I
figured all you penetration testers might be interested in full maps of
clients who use AT&T's DNS hosting.

Have fun.
Jason

--