PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Legality of drive wiping

From: bradmcmahon at gmail.com (Bradley McMahon)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:59:16 -0500

First I am not a lawyer.

If you are not being prosecuted for a crime but they suspect that data on
your machine may hold evidence then it is their responsibility to get a
subpoena and seize the machine. I think to slap you with anything they would
have to prove that you were aware of said data and said
data actually existed. If they can slap you with that, then I would be more
worried about being charged as an accessory to the crime. I find it really
hard for them to slap an individual for this unless they for sure the data
is on your drives and you intentionally deleted the data.

If you are being prosecuted for a crime, I believe if the police or who ever
doesn't seize your computer(s) within a decent amount of time and with out
alerting you then it's their own damn fault.

Jennifer Granick from the EFF gave a talk at noisebridge that answers
questions that are similar. here is a video of it:
http://blip.tv/file/2949647

-Brad