PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Farce Security Controls

From: jim.halfpenny at gmail.com (Jim Halfpenny)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:50:46 +0100

I don't truely believe online payment systems are designed to extract
extra revenue. Financial institutions have been known to use dirty
tricks to do this e.g. profilling customers to determine timing
reminder letters based on how likely you are to ignore/forget it. You
are not paranoid in my opinion.

Having worked in this sector I know the main motivators are cost.
Eliminating paper billing make a big difference to cost per customer
for billing and collection. Institutions often fail to deliver good
online billing by developing an in-house app which just plain sucks.
Sounds like the password policy you mention is a knee-jerk reaction to
past criticisms.

Jim