PaulDotCom mailing list archives

P2P Pentesting

From: abcampa at gmail.com (Albert R. Campa)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:11:24 -0500

Sourcefire RNA has default compliance checks for p2p traffic, so you can
easily be alerted for any such traffic.

;)

__________________________________
Albert R. Campa

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Michael Douglas <mick at pauldotcom.com> wrote:

I am wondering what P2P clients are capable of displaying the source IP
address of the client sharing files

Most of the Gnutella P2P clients will allow you to see what IP a file
is being shared from.  However, I've found that this gets tedious
really fast.  What OS(s) do you have at your disposal?  I can suggest
some clients based on that.

more importantly, how I can do a P2P search for any files coming from a
particular source IP address/range?

At present, I've been doing port sweeps with nmap (6346 & 6347 and
sometimes 80) to see if a host is running a gnutella client within a
specific IP range.  From there, simply connect to the IP to see what
files they are sharing.  With some scripts, I've been able to make
this process OKish.

Larry and I had a brainstorming session on what our next steps are to
smooth out the rough parts of p2p discovery work.  We're in
requirements gathering/refinement on a proof-of-concept white hat tool
which should help ease some P2P concerns.  So if you have any
suggestions, do let us know.

Danke! Merci! Asanti!
- Mick