PaulDotCom mailing list archives

First Responder Forensic Responsibilities

From: joel.folkerts at gmail.com (Joel Folkerts)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:52:37 -0500

I completely agree with Robin. I've had a few situations where the IT guys
were thinking they were doing me a favor by attempting to fix the system
after it had been compromised, i.e. patch, restore from backup, reimage. At
best, they end up losing events in their event log (no syslog server) and
making the time line analysis impossible.

 As a quick aside, we would tell people to literally not touch the system
and even leave it attached to the network. To provide a bit of background, I
worked for AFOSI where we handled incident response for the AF. If we felt
there was intelligence to be gained, we would quarantine the system and fill
its standalone network with normal network noise in hopes of not tipping off
the intruder. In some cases, the intruder would continue to probe and we
could record their activities in hopes of identifying the intruder.

-Joel

"The path to hell is paved with good intentions."