PaulDotCom mailing list archives

windows firewall for CTF

From: strandjs at gmail.com (John Strand)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:02:57 -0700

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amHaBmOlfgE

HTH,

john

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Robin Wood <dninja at gmail.com> wrote:
Hi
I'm not a windows user so the answer to this might be obvious to
others but I'm looking for a firewall that will allow me to easily
block single ports in and outbound without having to mess around with
going through loads of menus or saying which applications are allowed
to talk. I also don't want any windows smart-arsed stuff going on
where it automatically blocks things like ICMP by default.

I would say I want something like iptables but that implies I want
loads of power which I don't, I just want easy to setup and no
surprises.

The context for this is I teach a hacking course and want to be able
to use the same VM for a number of exercises, for one I'll allow
access to the vulnerable ftp server, for the next I want to close that
port so the attackers have to go in a different way. I also want to be
able to close outbound ports so when they use Metasploit reverse
shells on the default port of 4444 they don't get anything so have to
change port numbers.

What would people recommend?

Robin