PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Book recommendation - maybe not!

From: mike.mikemiller at gmail.com (Michael Miller)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:38:18 -0800

That sounds almost as bad as a series of un-named books that had one
paragraph on what the command was and then the man pages for that
command.

-mmiller

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Robert McGrew <wesleymcgrew at gmail.com> wrote:
I requested and received a review copy of this, on the off chance that
it fell into the category of "weird and eccentric, but completely
brilliant" (see Russell Walter's "Secret Guide to Computers", amazing
work, do check this out).

It doesn't fall into this category at all.

It's exactly as bad as you are imagining. ?I don't have the PDF handy
to cite exactly what, but I do recall that it's poorly formatted,
poorly written, chews up a lot of pages with lists and screenshots,
and contains a lot of information that is just plain wrong. ?(Just
like a lot of non-novelty-press books I get! :) )

It was bad enough that I just didn't even want to write anything about
it. ?I figured there wasn't much risk that readers of my site would
care to spend any money on it anyways, so I'd just be beating on it
for the humor. ?That's fun too sometimes, but I just couldn't bring
myself to spend any more time with it.