PaulDotCom mailing list archives

WD Passport Essential encryption in Linux

From: mike.mikemiller at gmail.com (Michael Miller)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:00:12 -0800

Robin,

I have a WD My Passport Elite which is supposed to support
hardware-based disk encryption.  I found on WD support website gem.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=987&p_created=1053009707&p_sid=H8kETMQj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTIsMTImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PUxpbnV4&p_li=&p_topview=1

Which say's they don't support Linux.  I then tried to look around to
see what FIPS rating (If it has one) the drive has. This will usually
tell you if it supports disk based encryption.  I couldn't find any
info on the website.  I think I'm going to e-mail them and ask them if
they plan on supporting Linux anytime soon.  I think there is a
growing trend in the Federal Government to use Linux servers vs
Widows.  If that trend is continuing I would think WD would start
support Linux for hardware based disk encryption.

-Miller