PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Wiping with DD leftovers

From: joel.folkerts at gmail.com (Joel Folkerts)
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 20:58:03 -0500

Adrian-

 Merely a guess as I'm on the road without access to a test disk but I think
you're asking dd to write *within* the volume so you're still going to see
NTFS remnants. Are you trying to wipe the entire physical drive? If so, you
will probably need to access the drive at the physical device level:

   - C:\Users\adrian\Desktop\aft>dd if=/dev/zero
   of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 bs=1M --progress   *[check your dd
   --list for accurate device number]*

-Joel

"The path to hell is paved with good intentions."