PaulDotCom mailing list archives

PayPal shuts down Hackers For Charity - Johnny kind of stranded...

From: mike.mikemiller at gmail.com (Michael Miller)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:10:16 -0700

Dave,

I can see both sides of the argument.  I think what PayPal is failing
to provide is proper customer service, which lacks at most banking
institutions.

-mmiller

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Dave
Ockwell-Jenner<doj at primeinfosec.com> wrote:
Disclosure: I'm a big HFC fan and contribute where I can; Johnny is doing
great work and is certainly heading toward greater things.

I'm not trying to be controversial here, but having been through the exact
same issue in the past, I do see another side here.

Bottom line, it sounds like HFC/Johnny's PayPal account was set-up with
incorrect information. Unless HFC is a *registered* Non-Profit, then the
account should not have been set-up -as- non-profit. It's a *business*
PayPal account, and so will require all the supporting documentation that
any business -should- have: bank account in the name of the business, etc.

I run a networking group for small businesses in my local area. We use
PayPal. I had selected 'non-profit' back in the day when the account was
created, as it was closest to what we are. We do not make money from it, but
it's not a registered Non-Profit. Therefore, when our account was frozen by
PayPal, we had to jump through these same hoops. We have a bank account in
the name of the 'business' (which is just our organization) and the switch
from Non-Profit to an appropriate business class was handled over the phone,
with PayPal's resolution center agent. Of course, we submitted the necessary
paperwork electronically. Whole process took maybe 2 days.

From another perspective, PayPal are merely ensuring that account holders
are not mis-representing themselves (i.e. claiming to be non-profit when
they are not). It is their service, and if that's how they choose to run the
service, it's up to us (as consumers) to use them, or not. I continue to use
PayPal and have been very happy with the service.

Now, that's not to say I'm insensitive to Johnny's plight... but perhaps he
needs someone to manage the 'business' of HFC whilst he can go on doing the
good work?

Just a thought.