PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Network and Web App Pen Test Providers

From: paul at pauldotcom.com (Paul Asadoorian)
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:54:23 -0400

"One other noteworthy item for you to ponder is that current customers
perform pen tests of their own on roughly a quarterly basis and we do
have internal quarterly scans as well so we already have a reasonable
level of confidence as to where our vulnerabilities lie."

Ken, thats an excellent point.  More organizations should have a
well-developed vulnerability management program, its crucial to the
success of your security.  This way you can find and fix stuff as you
go, then the external testing can focus on areas that you may not be
focusing on internally.

Cheers,
Paul

Kennith Asher wrote:
First let me say that I totally agree, especially in the case of pen
tests, that you get what you pay for.  (Assuming you know how to
evaluate what you're buying.)

Script kiddies and those who simply pass along an unsubstantiated,
unverified Qualys report (for instance) don't provide much value
regardless of cost.

I am not actually convinced that rotating pen test firms really does
much to improve the likelihood of discovering vulnerabilities.  I do,
however, have a business need to use different vendors.  Some of our
enterprise customers and prospects require this and audit us against
their requirement.

I have to balance getting a high quality result with the need to be able
to tell auditors that we are meeting their requirements.

I may be able to justify spending our pen test dollars on the same firm
provided that I have shown due diligence by evaluating a small handful
of alternatives and demonstrating that the choice was made in
appreciation of the intent of this requirement.

I'm looking for high quality first, low price second.

One other noteworthy item for you to ponder is that current customers
perform pen tests of their own on roughly a quarterly basis and we do
have internal quarterly scans as well so we already have a reasonable
level of confidence as to where our vulnerabilities lie.

Thanks for your comment,

Ken

On Aug 6, 2009 7:26 AM, "Paul Asadoorian" <paul at pauldotcom.com