PaulDotCom mailing list archives

How not to get pwned at Defcon

From: pauldotcom at grymoire.com (Grymoire)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:12:10 -0400

Sounds harsh but do you really need to take your laptop?

I wouldn't bring anything valuable.  I wopuld also not bring any
personal information on a computer. re-image it BEFORE you come.

I found a site that was selling eeepc-900 for $200. I'm adding a
10400uAh battery ($48).

I'm loading it with BT 4.0, and disabling wireless 99.99% of the time,
aand NOT loging into any of my accounts with that laptop. I'm adding
other protection mechanisms in the days to come.

You can check your mail and twitter on the iPhone, do you need much else?

Ahem. There will be a talk on hacking iPhones. Since some of the work uses
SMS messages, it's not unlikely that someone will post the exploit on the
blackhat/defcon twitter feeds.

The unofficial DEFCON FAQ may be of use

http://defcon.stotan.org/faq/fullmonty2.htm

It's my first time as well.