PaulDotCom mailing list archives

enhanced secure erase on ATA

From: irongeek at irongeek.com (Adrian Crenshaw)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:36:57 -0400

As I mentioned before, I've been working on an Anti-Forensics class. Scott
Moulton has been a great help in pointing me in the right direction. As many
of you know, there are ATA commands to do an "enhanced secure erase" on
modern drives that is both faster and gets remaped sectors (spots marked bad
by the controller on the drive), which is something DBAN does not do.

The tool HDDErase from
http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtmlis often mentioned
as being capable of doing this, but it fails on most of
my hardware. I've had better luck with MHDD (
http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/). MHDD says it's
using BIOS functions, but does this mean that MHDD is doing an "enhanced
secure erase" like HDDErase? As in, is it also wiping remapped blocks?

Thanks,
Adrian