PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Kon-Boot on a USB

From: pauldotcom at grymoire.com (Grymoire)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:56:01 -0400

KON can't do it all, and hard disk crypto seems to be the one thing
that stops this fun little tool cold.  I think from a white hat
perspective, it makes for an amazing demo of why FDE is needed.

FDE has some flaws.

If you have access to the computer while it's running, there are a few
approaches  to defeat full disk encryption. They make use of flaws in
implementations.

1) Searching memory for crypto material. AES uses tables that contain
   info for the block scrambling. If you can find this, you might find
   the encryption key nearby. The coldboot stuff does this.

2) The BIOS-based terminal buffer. http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/15751

You can use coldboot, USB/switchblade, or live hacks to get this info.
I know one company that uses FDE, and #2 recovers the password in some
cases.  Social someone to run a program that e-mails you the FDE
password first.

I still have to spend some time in reverse engineering the MBR of a
disk with FDE.