PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Google Hacking

From: chuck at ironponies.com (Chuck Benson)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:41:53 -0700

Allen Deryke wrote:
You could try common nameing conventions like joh.doe at company.org
<mailto:joh.doe at company.org>, jdoe at company.org
<mailto:jdoe at company.org>, or sometimes j.doe at company.org
<mailto:j.doe at company.org>. The smaller companys may use first name
only.  Once you know one address it's easy to guess the others.

If the company has taken a strong stance on spam they may be using
AD/LDAP to verify email address's. I've seen a bunch of
implementations and none I've seen have a bullet proof way of
preventing directory harvesting.

One of the best ways to confirm an email is an annoying but
ligitimante looking mailing list/ news letter with a loaded
unsubscribe link. Send a bunch and a normal person will go running for
that link, you can just check your webservers logs from there.

-- Allen Deryke

On Aug 27, 2009, at 8:08 AM, bytes abit <bytesabit at gmail.com