PaulDotCom mailing list archives

SANS work study program

From: doj at primeinfosec.com (Dave Ockwell-Jenner)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:58:51 -0400

Hi Duncan,

I was successful in getting onto the program for /SANS Toronto 2009/
earlier this year. It helps that it's a smaller event, but in principle,
my best advice is to focus on how you think you can help fellow
participants with the course, or to ensure things run smoothly. There is
a lot of background work that takes place to make an event run smoothly,
so be prepared to put in a lot of effort.

In my case, I enjoy helping explain concepts to people... it's what I do
for a large part of my day job and I think translates well to the
classroom. On my application, I highlighted some of the situations that
I thought might require such a skillset (such as helping with labs,
staying behind after class, etc.).

In the end, whilst I found the class material (and teachers)
exceptional, the conversation and questions were what really made the
event spectacular.

Cheers and good luck,
Dave.

Duncan Alderson wrote:
Hi Guys,

Have any of you succesfully applied for the SANS work study program?

I had a try last year and got rejected, I know these positions are
highly sort after and the compititon level is going to be high. I just
wanted to know if any of you had any tips on applying.

Thanks in advance,

Duncan