PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Host-Protected Areas and Disk Configuration Overlay

From: jim.halfpenny at gmail.com (Jim Halfpenny)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:17:49 +0100

Hi,
While I'm not a forensic examiner I've never come across these techniqueis
being used in the wild to hide data. Given the lack of popularity perhaps
there is a good chance that even an experienced examiner is going to miss a
DCO/HPA hidden area. If the hidden area is significantly large then the
discrepancy between the size of the disk and the size of a forensic image
ought to be notable.

If you used HPC/DCO as well as altering or erasing the information written
on the printed label on the disk case you would improve your chances of
slipping under the radar. Take a 80GB disk, hide 20GB and print a label
describing the disk as have 60GB capacity. I'm willing to bet that most
examiners trust what's written on the disk case without verification.

Jim